Dandelion tea is a herbal infusion prepared from a dandelion plant’s root, leaves, or both. It is rich in antioxidants and offers several health benefits, including liver detoxification, aiding digestion, reducing inflammation, and promoting skin health.
We’ve tested dozens of the best dandelion tea brands, covering different ingredients, types of dandelion processing, forms, and price points. By the end, we’ve handpicked the best dandelion teas for you in 2023.
These are the best dandelion teas on the market:
Jump to Review
Jump to Review
The 7 Best Dandelion Teas
Not all dandelion teas are created equal, with some being more beneficial and flavorful than others. Here are our top picks.
1. The Republic of Tea, Organic Dandelion SuperHerb Tea Bags – Best Dandelion Tea Overall
The Republic of Tea Organic Dandelion SuperHerb Tea is an organic tea that combines the robust properties of roasted dandelion root and the delicate notes of French vanilla. In terms of appearance, it is packaged in a tin container that holds 36 tea bags, ensuring that each cup retains the freshness of the ingredients.
The tea’s flavor profile uniquely blends vanilla, biscuit, and earthy tones, making it a full-bodied and richly satisfying beverage. Despite the richness of its flavor, this herbal blend is naturally caffeine-free, making it an ideal alternative to coffee.
When it comes to steeping this tea, it’s a simple process. Just heat fresh, filtered water to a rolling boil, then pour 6 oz of water over the tea bag and let it steep for 5-7 minutes. This process allows the organic roasted dandelion root, organic ground roasted dandelion root, and organic vanilla flavors to fully infuse into the water, resulting in a wonderfully aromatic cup of tea.
Regarding certifications, it’s worth noting that this tea is USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, gluten-free, kosher, sugar-free, and carb-free. Given the extensive benefits and exquisite flavor, we consider this product the best dandelion tea available.
- The tea has a unique and delicious flavor profile with vanilla and nutty tones.
- It is a great coffee substitute for those trying to cut back on caffeine.
- Many customers report that It may aid digestion, alleviate bloating issues, and help with detoxification and weight management.
- The packaging is aesthetically pleasing, and the tea bags are easy to use.
- Despite the distinct taste of dandelion, the addition of vanilla masks any bitterness, making it enjoyable even for those who typically don’t like tea.
- Some customers may find the price on the higher side compared to other brands.
- The tea has a strong roasted flavor that can be overwhelming for some.
2. Buddha Teas, Organic Dandelion Root Tea Bags – Runner-up
Buddha Teas Organic Dandelion Root Tea is a 100% dandelion root tea sourced in Albania. The taste of this herbal tea is noted as subtly earthy, with a light floral hint, and some users may find it beneficial to adjust the flavor to their liking with additives such as honey or lemon. Each box contains 18 tea bags catering to individuals who value convenience.
Falling under the category of some of the best dandelion teas, the product is certified as organic, Kosher, and Non-GMO, reflecting a commitment to natural and ethical standards. The primary ingredient, organic dandelion root, is recognized for its potential health benefits, including inflammation reduction, cellular health improvement, and liver function support.
When steeped in water with temperatures between 205°-212° F for 3-6 minutes, as per the recommended instructions, this tea presents a robust, flavorful experience. The tea bags are constructed from the cellulose fibers of the abaca plant. They are devoid of bleach, ensuring a pure taste and a nod to environmental consciousness.
The dark brown hue of the tea, upon steeping, exudes a warm ambiance, accompanied by an earthy aroma that provides a comforting sensory experience. Buddha Teas, the manufacturer of this product, also contributes to sustainability efforts through its “Tea for Trees” campaign.
- Helps with colds and respiratory issues.
- Contains dandelion root, which reduces inflammation, improves cellular health and supports liver health.
- Offers good value for money.
- Has a pleasant flavor when consumed with honey and almond milk.
- Great for liver detoxification.
- Comes in elegant packaging and ships fast.
- Has a subtle, warm, and earthy flavor, becoming robust over time.
- Some users find the flavor too weak and prefer a stronger, bolder taste.
- The taste may be too bitter for some, requiring added sweeteners to be palatable.
- Tea bags are delicate and may tear easily.
- Some may find the tea too thick and unclear.
3. Micro Ingredients, Organic Dandelion Root Powder – Best Dandelion Root Tea Powder
Micro Ingredients Organic Dandelion Root Powder is a high-quality, US-grown product that stands out as one of the best dandelion root tea powders on the market. Coming in a loose powder form, this product provides the convenience of a scoop included for precise measurements. The product packaging comes as a 1-pound bag, providing a generous supply for regular use.
The powder’s appearance varies between light to dark brown color, signifying its natural, raw, and organic nature. Tea drinkers should not be surprised if the shade varies between batches, as it depends on the harvest. The taste of this dandelion root powder can be described as slightly bitter-sweet, resembling the natural, earthy flavors of dandelion. As such, it can easily be mixed with water, tea, or smoothies without creating an overpowering flavor.
What makes this dandelion root tea powder stand out is its purity. It contains no GMOs, additives, preservatives, artificial colors, or flavors. It’s also free from soy, fillers, and gluten, making it suitable for people with various dietary restrictions.
As per the recommended use, the powder can be taken daily with or between meals. Simply add it to your preferred beverage to enjoy the benefits.
However, not everyone might appreciate the distinctive taste of dandelion root. The powder may also settle at the bottom of your drink, requiring occasional stirring.
In conclusion, Micro Ingredients Organic Dandelion Root Powder is a premium, sustainably grown product for those seeking a simple and effective way to include this potent superfood in their diet.
- Has a pleasant taste and can be used in a variety of beverages.
- High potency, as 20 pounds of the herb is used to make 1 pound of the powder.
- The product is easy to use and can be included in smoothies.
- Users have reported potential benefits for blood pressure and blood sugar control.
- Some users have observed weight loss and general health improvement.
- Some users reported a change in color between different batches, leading to questions about consistency.
- The taste might seem “weed-like” or “dry” to some tea drinkers who are new to dandelion.
- The powder may be difficult to dissolve, needing extra effort to break up lumps.
4. Yogi Tea, Roasted Dandelion Spice DeTox Tea – Best Dandelion Tea Blend
The Yogi Roasted Dandelion Spice DeTox Tea stands out as the best dandelion tea blend in the market. The package contains 96 compostable tea bags, each delivering a brew rich in flavors and a delightful and earthy aroma. The star ingredient, roasted dandelion root, confers a unique taste, harmonizing with the earthy tones of organic cocoa shells, ginger root, cardamom seed, and clove bud. The undernotes of black pepper and multiple infusions of cinnamon bark add a hint of spice to the overall flavor profile.
This blend is steeped in organic and non-GMO ingredients, emphasizing the brand’s commitment to delivering a healthful experience. The absence of caffeine and artificial flavors or sweeteners amplifies its purity, making it a versatile choice for different diet types. Its brewing process is straightforward and convenient – steep the tea bag in boiling water for seven minutes to unlock its full potential. You can opt to use two tea bags for a more intense flavor.
While the product’s primary purpose is to support the body’s natural cleansing processes, its carefully balanced blend creates an enjoyable tea at any time of the day. The combination of earthy and sweet tones with a hint of spice produces a refreshing and soothing tea.
However, the blend’s lightness may require more tea bags for a stronger taste, and some users might find the dandelion flavor less pronounced than expected. Nevertheless, the Yogi Roasted Dandelion Spice DeTox Tea offers a unique take on detox teas, making it a worthwhile addition to your pantry.
- Delightful cinnamon-citrus flavor that provides a unique twist to traditional dandelion tea.
- Smooth and enjoyable taste, which makes it suitable for regular consumption.
- Many customers have reported that the blend is particularly effective as a diuretic, assisting with issues such as edema.
- Can be enjoyed with additional flavorings like honey or lemon, enhancing its taste.
- Has a calming effect and can improve sleep quality.
- Affordable and provides good value for money.
- Some users reported needing multiple tea bags for a good brew, suggesting the tea bags might contain insufficient herbs.
- Not all users found a noticeable improvement in health or detox benefits.
- The tea bags are flimsy and prone to breaking, potentially causing inconvenience.
- The flavor might not appeal to everyone, especially those expecting a chai-like taste.
- Some users found the tea less effective than other brands in terms of digestive easing and cleansing.
- Because this is a blend and not pure dandelion tea, some customers may find the amount of dandelion in tea bags less than expected.
5. Traditional Medicinals, Dandelion Leaf & Root Tea – Good Choice Overall
Traditional Medicinals’ Dandelion Leaf & Root Tea includes organic dandelion harvested from the wild meadows of Europe, contributing to its place amongst the best organic dandelion teas available.
The tea’s primary function is to aid digestion and promote kidney health. This benefit stems from the dandelion’s capacity to facilitate the body’s natural detoxification processes. The product comprises 16 teabags, each containing 1750mg of organic dandelion herb with root. It’s worth noting that all ingredients used in this blend are certified organic.
Flavor-wise, the Dandelion Leaf & Root tea is mild, providing an earthy and slightly sweet taste. Despite the flavors, this tea remains caffeine-free, making it suitable for daily consumption. The tea’s earthy aroma further reflects the dandelion’s natural qualities.
The tea comes in teabag form. Each tea bag is meant to produce an 8 fl. oz. serving, ensuring a consistent experience with each brew.
However, some might see the taste as bland due to its mild nature. Furthermore, the earthy flavor may not be to everyone’s liking. Lastly, some could deem the potency of the tea insufficient, suggesting that it may not be the best fit for those seeking a strong tea experience.
The product is gluten-free and holds a USDA organic certification, making it a suitable choice for individuals with dietary restrictions or preferences.
- It has a good taste, often described as refreshing, earthy, and smooth.
- It provides potential health benefits, such as aiding digestion, helping with water retention, and possibly assisting with blood sugar and blood pressure control.
- The tea can reportedly help with menstrual cycle-related symptoms like cramps and bloating.
- It has potential medicinal benefits, including aiding recovery from certain conditions like Pneumonia.
- The tea has a full spectrum of healthy plant ingredients.
- It might be beneficial for liver health and detoxification.
- Some users may find the Dandelion Root flavor to taste a bit like dirt.
- It’s not strong enough to replace coffee for those who want to add creamer.
- The taste may be bland for some.
- If you are accustomed to roasted Dandelion tea, you may not like the taste of this dandelion tea.
- Users with pre-existing health issues, particularly large kidney stones, should exercise caution and possibly consult a doctor before using.
6. FGO Organic, Roasted Dandelion Root Tea Bags – Good Choice Overall
FGO Organic Roasted Dandelion Root Tea contains organically grown dandelion roots sourced from Croatia. These roots are roasted to bring out a mild, earthy, and toasty flavor, lending this good dandelion tea a unique character. This tea serves as a caffeine-free alternative to traditional teas and coffees.
The packaging method of this product is focused on sustainability. The 100 tea bags in the package are made from Abacá Hemp Fiber Paper, a material free of dyes, adhesives, glue, and chlorine bleach. Further minimizing environmental impact, the tea bags are free of staples and strings. The tea bags are filled with roasted dandelion root and then packed into resealable kraft bags featuring a foil lining for product freshness.
This FGO tea is certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO, ensuring it adheres to certain organic farming and genetic modification standards.
However, potential buyers should note that the mild flavor of the tea might require some adjustment for those used to stronger varieties. Some users might find the need to use two tea bags per serving to achieve a more robust flavor. Additionally, the manual packing process could lead to some inconsistency in the quantity of tea bags per package.
- The tea has a mild, pleasant, roasted flavor. This makes the tea easy to incorporate into daily routine.
- The tea is versatile enough to be mixed with other flavors, such as turmeric, ginger, and moringa.
- The tea is often praised for its health benefits, especially for liver and kidney issues.
- The tea is organic.
- The packaging is convenient, especially the zip-lock container with 100 tea bags, reducing waste from individual packets.
- It is good value for money, considering the quantity.
- Some customers may need to use two teabags at a time to get the desired strength, which could impact the perceived value.
7. MatchaDNA, Organic Roasted Dandelion Root Tea Bags – Good Choice Overall
The MatchaDNA Organic Roasted Dandelion Root Tea is packaged in a box containing 120 tea bags, each carrying only one ingredient – roasted organic dandelion root. The tea boasts a robust roasted dandelion root taste, reminiscent of coffee, with a hint of mild bitterness. Its aroma is distinct and earthy. The resulting brew has a rich color, inviting you to take that first sip.
It’s pretty straightforward when it comes to the consumption and brewing of the tea. You simply steep the teabags in hot water for about 3-5 minutes. If you prefer, you can add a sweetener or milk to tailor the taste to your preference.
- According to some customers, this tea can offer health benefits, such as alleviating swelling and issues related to fluid retention. Additionally, it may have potential advantages for individuals battling high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and digestive complications.
- The robust, roasted taste is distinct and can appeal to those who enjoy bold flavors.
- This tea provides a great bang for your buck, delivering 120 bags per box.
- Those looking to minimize their caffeine intake will appreciate this caffeine-free alternative.
- Being USDA-certified organic, it resonates with those prioritizing a healthy lifestyle.
- While the tea has a strong flavor, it might not meet the expectations of those seeking a strong coffee substitute.
- There is a noticeable difference in flavor from other dandelion tea brands, which could be less satisfactory for those accustomed to a different taste.
- To make the taste more palatable, you may find the need to use sweeteners like honey.
How We Selected the Best Dandelion Root Teas
We’ve conducted rigorous testing involving dozens of the best dandelion tea brands to bring you our top selections. We’ve examined them all, from pure dandelion to blends, roasted to non-roasted, in forms like tea bags or powder, across a wide price range.
There are several types of dandelion teas on the market. Some offer pure dandelion, while others present blends, combining dandelion with other herbs to enhance its health properties. Pure dandelion teas could comprise dandelion root, dandelion leaf, or a mix of both. Each type contributes distinct flavors and health benefits, giving tea lovers a broad spectrum of choices.
Dandelion tea can be processed in two main ways – roasted or non-roasted. Roasting dandelion root gives it a robust, coffee-like flavor and dark hue, making it a popular choice for coffee substitutes. Conversely, non-roasted dandelion retains its naturally sweet, slightly bitter taste and light color.
The form in which dandelion tea is available varies as well. Tea bags provide convenience, as they’re ready-to-use and mess-free. Dandelion tea powder offers flexibility, allowing you to adjust the strength of your brew. Both forms have their merits and depend primarily on your brewing preference.
While quality is crucial, we understand the importance of affordability. We considered the price per cup to ensure our selections offer value for money. From economical options to more premium brands, we’ve strived to include something for every budget.
Tips for Choosing the Best Dandelion Root Teas
Selecting the best dandelion root tea requires careful consideration. Here are some detailed tips to guide your decision-making process.
- Choose Between Pure Dandelion or a Blend: This decision depends on your preference and the health benefits you seek. Pure dandelion tea offers dandelion root’s full, unaltered flavor and benefits. On the other hand, dandelion blend teas often combine other beneficial herbs, enhancing the tea’s overall flavor profile and health-promoting properties. If you’re new to dandelion tea, you might want to sample both types to see which one you prefer.
- Choose the Right Form for Your Lifestyle: Dandelion root tea comes in different forms, like tea bags and powder. Tea bags may be your best bet if you value convenience and quick brewing. However, if you prefer more control over the strength of your brew, opt for powder form or cut and sifted for use as loose-leaf tea.
- Opt for Roasted or Non-Roasted Based on Your Taste Preference: Roasted dandelion root tea offers a robust, coffee-like flavor that some tea enthusiasts love. If you prefer a lighter, more naturally sweet taste, go for non-roasted varieties.
- Consider Price and Value: While it’s okay to splurge on a premium tea experience, ensure you’re getting good value for your money. Compare prices among the best dandelion tea brands and consider factors like the number of servings per package and the quality of the ingredients.
- Read Reviews: Reviews from other consumers can provide insights into a product’s taste, quality, and effectiveness. Make sure to read reviews on multiple platforms to understand the product comprehensively.
Remember, the best organic dandelion root tea depends on your preferences and needs. Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll find the perfect brew.
While we’ve tested dozens of brands, the dynamic nature of the market means new products will emerge. We pledge to keep this list updated as we review more products.
Remember, the best dandelion tea brands for us might not be the same for you. Sampling different teas will help you find your perfect cup.
Is It Ok to Drink Dandelion Tea Every Day?
Yes, drinking dandelion tea daily is generally safe. However, limit your intake to 2-3 cups daily, as excess consumption might lead to side effects.
Which Is Better, Dandelion Root or Dandelion Leaf Tea?
Neither is inherently “better” – it depends on personal preference and the health benefits you seek. Dandelion root tea is often used for liver health, while dandelion leaf tea is known for promoting digestion.
Is Roasted Dandelion Tea Better Than Regular Dandelion Tea?
Roasted and regular dandelion tea differ in flavor and color but not significantly in health benefits. Your choice depends on whether you prefer a more robust, coffee-like taste (roasted) or a lighter, naturally sweet flavor (regular).
What Does Dandelion Tea Taste Like?
Dandelion tea has a distinctive, slightly bitter, yet pleasantly sweet flavor. The taste can be likened to chicory root, with an earthy, nutty undertone.
What Are the Health Benefits of Dandelion Tea?
Dandelion tea offers numerous health benefits, including liver detoxification, digestion aid, and promotion of skin health, among others. Remember to consult your healthcare provider before adding it to your diet, especially if you’re on medication.
How Long Does It Take for Dandelion Tea to Work?
It varies from person to person. Some might see benefits within a few days of consistent consumption, while others may take a few weeks.
How to Make Dandelion Tea?
Brewing dandelion tea is simple. Steep a tea bag or a teaspoon of dandelion tea powder in hot water for about 10 minutes. Adjust brewing time for desired strength.
While this recipe will likely work for most branded dandelion teas, following the manufacturer’s directions on the label is best.