Earl Grey tea, a black tea blend flavored with the distinct and refreshing citrus notes of bergamot oil, is an international classic known for its alluring aroma and comforting taste.
There is a multitude of Earl Grey tea brands on the market, available in both loose-leaf and bagged forms, and spanning a range from affordable to premium prices. To aid you in making an informed decision, we’ve sampled and tested dozens of these brands, subsequently identifying the top performers. These brands have been carefully selected based on their superior Earl Grey quality, intensity, flavoring, and brewing convenience.
Here are the best earl grey teas on the market:
Jump to Review
The 10 Best Earl Grey Teas
We have meticulously tested and hand-picked the finest Earl Grey teas available with the aim of offering you a diverse array of options.
Here are our top picks.
1. Vahdam Earl Grey Black Tea Bags – Best Earl Grey Tea Overall
Vahdam Earl Grey Black Tea Bags bring you an exquisite blend of black tea and bergamot oil in a pack of 100 single-serve sachets.
This product is the best earl grey tea we’ve tested, thanks to its distinct sweet-lemony aroma and wonderfully malty-sweet taste that is both mild and mellow.
The pyramid-shaped tea bags, packed individually for superior freshness, contain well-twisted, black-dark brown leaves with a glossy bloom and sheen. The unique packaging ensures the superiority of loose-leaf tea while offering the convenience of a tea bag.
Sourced directly from tea estates in India, these tea bags are cleaned and vacuum sealed at the source to ensure freshness.
The medium caffeine content makes this tea a versatile beverage that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Whether you want a refreshing iced tea or a warm, comforting cup, the Vahdam Earl Grey Black Tea delivers a rich and flavourful experience.
- Freshness is guaranteed due to direct sourcing from tea estates and vacuum sealing at the source.
- Convenient single-serve, individually wrapped tea sachets.
- Offers a rich and well-rounded taste with a bergamot ‘nose’ that complements the malty-sweet black tea.
- Pyramid-shaped tea bags allow for a more flavorful brew.
- Medium caffeine content allows enjoyment at any time of the day.
- Company’s commitment to sustainability and education initiatives.
- Large pack size (100 sachets) provides good value for money.
- The strength of the bergamot flavor may be too mild for some.
2. Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme Tea, Loose-Leaf – Best Loose-Leaf Earl Grey Tea
Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme Tea is the best loose-leaf earl grey tea, specially crafted for tea drinkers with discerning taste.
This supreme blend is a distinctive fusion of high-grade teas, including black, white, and oolong varieties, with the vibrant addition of silver tips.
The loose-leaf form ensures the flavors are rich and authentic, providing a supreme tea-drinking experience.
The full-bodied aroma that emanates from this tea as you brew it is alluring, promising a captivating taste journey ahead.
The blend incorporates genuine bergamot oil, offering a unique flavor profile that is balanced and full-bodied.
With a 16-ounce bag, you can enjoy approximately 140 cups of tea, making it a substantial choice for avid tea drinkers. The packaging design emphasizes the premium quality of the product, showcasing a mixture of large black leaves, brown leaves from the oolong, and the silver needles of white tea.
This tea is gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
- High-quality blend of various teas with silver tips.
- Authentic bergamot oil provides a unique flavor.
- Offers approximately 140 cups of tea per 16-ounce bag.
- Suitable for gluten-free and vegan dietary requirements.
- The loose-leaf form guarantees rich and genuine flavors.
- Company commitment to sustainability through 1% For the Planet.
- Works well for both hot tea and cold brew methods.
- Tea drinkers that prefer a stronger taste will find this tea weak.
- Higher cost than some other loose-leaf earl grey teas.
3. Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme Tea, Sachets – Best Earl Grey Tea Bags
If you’re an Earl Grey fan, consider the Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme Tea.
It’s not just your average Earl Grey, but a unique blend of black, white, and oolong tea, elevated with the addition of Silver Tips. The blend also features bergamot oil, which gives it a citrusy note.
This product comes in a bag containing 50 sachets. Each sachet can brew a 12-ounce cup of tea. It’s got a good hit of caffeine and comes under a Kosher diet.
If you’re not into loose-leaf tea and prefer the convenience of tea bags, this could be a good option. The tea is quality stuff, from a reputable brand known for good tea. Definitely one of the best Earl Grey tea bags that we have sampled.
- The unique blend of black, white, and oolong tea with Silver Tips
- Citrusy flavor due to bergamot oil
- The bag contains 50 sachets, each brewing a 12-ounce cup
- Offers a caffeine kick
- Suitable for those following a Kosher diet
- Tea from a trusted brand
- Some instances of broken sachets
- The blend is stronger than usual Earl Grey teas
- Stronger bergamot flavor might not be for everyone
4. Pique Miss Grey Black Tea – Best Earl Grey Tea Sticks
Pique Miss Grey Black Tea is a premium organic tea that promises a harmonious balance of health and taste.
This Earl Grey blend comprises organic Ceylon black tea and Calabrian bergamot oil, a combination that delivers a bold, smooth, and sumptuous flavor with bright citrusy undertones.
Perfect for morning consumption, this tea is meticulously designed to provide calm energy, support healthy digestion, and stimulate a healthy metabolism.
Packaged as easy-to-use tea crystals in individual sachets, it can be prepared by adding the crystals to 8oz of warm water at an ideal temperature of 180°F.
This superior Ceylon tea promises to offer the best Earl Grey tea experience in each of the 14 servings per carton.
Moreover, Pique’s commitment to quality is exemplified in their triple toxin screening for purity and USDA organic certification. The tea is not only free of preservatives, refined sugar, and additives but also comes with a 100% happiness guarantee to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
- Organic, toxin-free, and devoid of preservatives, refined sugar, or additives.
- Convenient to prepare with fast-dissolving tea crystals.
- Provides calm energy and supports healthy metabolism and digestion.
- The taste is bold and smooth, with citrusy notes from the bergamot oil.
- Ideal for morning consumption and provides a good amount of caffeine.
- Comes with a 100% happiness guarantee.
- Excellent for traveling due to its packaging.
- May not dissolve well in cold milk.
- The strength of the tea may be weak for some users.
- Could be costly for frequent consumption.
- Some tea drinkers may find it different in taste from traditional tea.
5. The Republic of Tea, Decaf Earl Greyer Black Tea Bags – Best Decaf Earl Grey Tea
The Republic of Tea, Decaf Earl Greyer Black Tea Bags offer a sublime blend of light, liquoring leaves, and a top-grade natural Bergamot oil for a refreshing, happy, and citrusy taste, all without the effects of caffeine.
Harvested from the finest tea gardens of Kenya and Ceylon, these decaffeinated black tea leaves infused with bergamot oil are touted as the best decaf earl grey tea, owing to their superior quality and unmatched flavor.
Presented in sleek tin packaging, the product comes with 50 tea bags, ensuring a lasting supply of your beloved brew.
The tea is decaffeinated using an all-natural process, making it an excellent option for those seeking to limit their caffeine intake.
It is also a gluten-free, carb-free, and sugar-free beverage, making it suitable for various diet types. With each cup, you can savor the robust, aromatic infusion that offers the comfort of a traditional black tea and the refreshing burst of citrus, all without keeping you awake.
- Natural bergamot flavor provides a distinctive, pleasing taste.
- Decaffeinated using an all-natural process.
- Gluten-free, carb-free, and sugar-free, suitable for various diet types.
- Comes in durable and attractive tin packaging.
- The tea is sourced from the finest tea gardens in Kenya and Ceylon.
- Contains antioxidants that can aid in the relief of stress.
- A considerable number of servings (50 tea bags) in each tin.
- Some consumers may find the flavor weaker than expected, with bergamot overpowering the black tea.
- It may seem pricey compared to other brands.
- Tea bags are not individually wrapped.
- A lack of string attached to the tea bag can cause minor inconvenience.
6. Teatulia Organic Earl Grey Tea Bags – Best Organic Earl Grey Tea
The Teatulia Organic Earl Grey Tea Bags offer an uncomplicated yet rewarding tea experience. Brewed from black tea leaves and bergamot citrus, this blend provides a robust flavor, unapologetically refreshing with a distinct touch of bergamot.
These medium-sized dry leaves offer a pleasing golden-red color to your brewed cup of tea. The mild citrus aroma further enhances the appeal of this brew.
This product is packed in a set of 50 pyramid tea bags, each containing whole-leaf tea for quality steeping.
A standout feature is its eco-friendly packaging. Free from micro-plastics, strings, tags, and staples, this packaging is commercially compostable, reflecting the brand’s commitment to sustainability.
This blend is USDA Organic, Gluten-Free, Kosher, and Vegan, with a caffeine content that is half a typical coffee cup.
The tea leaves are sourced from Teatulia’s own regenerative tea garden in Bangladesh, promoting responsible farming practices.
The purchase of these tea bags contributes to local community development in Bangladesh.
This tea is a testament to the best organic earl grey tea that combines taste, aroma, and sustainability in each bag.
- The flavor of the tea is robust and refreshing.
- The tea has a mild citrus aroma.
- The tea comes in convenient pyramid tea bags.
- The packaging is eco-friendly and compostable.
- The product supports local community development in Bangladesh.
- It’s USDA Organic, Gluten-Free, Kosher, and Vegan.
- The bergamot flavor may seem weak to some customers.
7. Stash Tea Earl Grey Black Tea Bags – Best Tasting Earl Grey Tea
Stash Tea Earl Grey Black Tea Bags are an exceptional embodiment of the best-tasting Earl Grey tea.
Housed in stay-fresh foil wrappers, each bag contains a blend of black teas with an enchanting citrusy touch of the finest bergamot oil from sunny orchards of Calabria, Italy.
As the tea brews, it unveils a beautiful amber cup with a unique, lightly fragrant aroma. The rich flavor of the black tea blend perfectly harmonizes with the complex bergamot undertones, making every sip a lively and interesting experience.
A decaf version is available for those who prefer a caffeine-free option.
With its gluten-free and Kosher properties, the Stash Earl Grey Black Tea is a tasteful treat suitable for diverse dietary preferences.
- Rich, full-bodied taste
- High-quality black tea blended with bergamot oil
- Comes in a stay-fresh foil wrapper, ensuring freshness
- It is Gluten-Free and Kosher
- Also available in decaf and loose-leaf versions
- It can be enjoyed hot or iced, with or without sweeteners
- The bergamot flavor might be too mild for some
- May not be robust enough for those who prefer a stronger taste.
8. Twinings Earl Grey Black Tea Bags – Good Choice Overall
Twinings Earl Grey Black Tea Bags is a distinctive blend, sure to delight those searching for a good Earl Grey tea.
The heart of the product is classic black tea leaves, renowned for their full-bodied flavor, which mingle harmoniously with a natural bergamot flavor. This fusion introduces the iconic citrusy notes that are distinctive of Earl Grey tea.
The packaging, which consists of 100 individually sealed tea bags, ensures that the unique aroma and taste are preserved in each serving. The Twinings Earl Grey Black Tea Bags can be appreciated as an easy-to-brew, convenient alternative to loose-leaf teas, perfect for on-the-go moments or to serve multiple people quickly.
- Distinctive citrus and bergamot flavor for Earl Grey lovers
- Packaged in individually sealed bags for optimal freshness and portability
- The convenience of tea bags over loose leaf
- High-quality black tea sourced responsibly by Twinings
- Cost-effective considering the quantity and quality
- Good for serving multiple people quickly
- Some customers may find the flavor slightly ‘flowery’
- Not as strong a flavor as some other Earl Grey brands
9. Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey Tea Bags – Good Choice Overall
Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey Tea Bags is a distinctive blend of rich, full-bodied black tea enlivened by the elegant fragrance of bergamot fruit.
Sourced from high-altitude teas from India and fine teas from Africa, this blend offers a light yet distinct taste that makes for a good Earl Grey tea experience.
For the perfect cup, simply steep one tea bag in freshly boiled water for 4-5 minutes. The result is an unparalleled blend of robust and citrusy flavors that can be enjoyed pure or with a hint of lemon.
Each box contains 50 tea bags, guaranteeing 50 servings of this deliciously aromatic tea. The tea bags are packed in a simple, flimsy box to reduce excess waste, reflecting the brand’s commitment to environmental sustainability.
Furthermore, Taylors of Harrogate is Carbon Neutral Certified and a member of the Ethical Tea Partnership, reinforcing their commitment to ethical and sustainable tea production. Their Rainforest Alliance certification also stands testament to their commitment to sustainable farming methods and climate change mitigation.
- Full-bodied, distinctive flavor and aroma.
- Comes in environmentally friendly packaging.
- Certified by multiple organizations for ethical and sustainable practices.
- Value for money with 50 tea bags per box.
- Suitable for those who prefer a mild, nuanced flavor.
- Can be used to infuse other beverages like bourbon.
- Versatile serving options – pure or with a dash of lemon.
- No individual wrapping for tea bags, which might affect freshness over time.
- A lack of tags on the tea bags can make removal after steeping slightly inconvenient.
- Some customers may find the flavor too subtle.
10. Bigelow Earl Grey Black Tea Bags – Good Choice Overall
Bigelow Earl Grey Black Tea Bags are a staple for those who appreciate good Earl Grey tea. These tea bags deliver a robust flavor, created from a blend of hand-picked black tea and pure bergamot oil from Calabria, Italy. This mixture results in a tea with a pronounced full-bodied taste that concludes with a citrus finish.
The scent of this tea is quite distinct; gentle citrus notes complement the strong aroma of black tea.
When you brew this tea, you’ll notice its darker, coppery hue.
The box you’ll get contains 120 tea bags. It’s a practical choice if you drink tea daily or if you simply want to have a good stock of Earl Grey at your disposal.
Each tea bag is individually packed in a foil pouch. This packaging is designed to lock in the flavor and aroma, so you get the same consistent taste every time you brew a cup.
This product is gluten-free, calorie-free, and Kosher Certified, catering to a variety of dietary needs.
- Strong, full-bodied taste with a citrus finish.
- Contains 100 individually wrapped tea bags.
- Tea bags are packaged in foil pouches for freshness.
- Gluten-free, calorie-free, and Kosher Certified.
- Convenient for daily tea drinkers.
- Made with hand-picked black tea and pure bergamot oil.
- The flavor may be too strong for some, and it can get too bitter if steeped for too long.
How We Selected the Best Earl Grey Teas
Our selection process for the best Earl Grey teas was intricate, considering various factors that contribute to an exceptional Earl Grey experience.
The form in which Earl Grey tea comes – be it loose-leaf or tea bags – plays a crucial role in its flavor and convenience.
Loose-leaf Earl Grey often offers a deeper, more nuanced flavor due to the larger leaf size, which allows for more natural oils and aromas. It is the preferred choice for tea connoisseurs who don’t mind spending a bit more time brewing.
Tea bags, conversely, are convenient for quick brewing, and ideal for those on the go. They often contain smaller or broken tea leaves and may not provide the full-bodied flavor of their loose-leaf counterparts.
Caffeine content can influence the strength of Earl Grey tea.
Traditional Earl Grey teas contain black tea, thus a moderate level of caffeine, suitable for a morning or midday pick-me-up.
However, for those sensitive to caffeine or who prefer a night-time brew, decaffeinated versions are available without significantly compromising on flavor.
Flavor is the heart and soul of any tea, and this rings particularly true for Earl Grey. Earl Grey’s characteristic flavor comes from the infusion of bergamot oil, a citrus fruit known for its vibrant and floral taste. The balance between the bergamot and the robust black tea base can greatly affect the tea’s final taste.
Some Earl Grey teas lean towards a stronger, more intense citrus flavor, appealing to those who enjoy a bright, zesty cup. Others might be more subtle, with a gentle hint of bergamot that compliments the boldness of black tea, better suited for those favoring a traditional black tea experience with a twist.
Additional flavorings such as lavender, cream, or cornflower petals might be included in some blends for an extra layer of complexity.
The price of Earl Grey teas can range widely, reflecting factors such as the quality of black tea used, the sourcing of bergamot oil, and the production process.
Premium brands often use high-quality tea leaves and pure bergamot oil, producing a costlier product. However, more affordable options can still provide a satisfactory Earl Grey experience for daily consumption.
Tips for Choosing the Best Earl Grey Tea
Choosing the best Earl Grey tea involves more than just selecting a brand. Here are some tips to guide you:
- Identify Your Preferred Tea Form: Decide if you prefer the convenience of tea bags or the deep, nuanced flavor of loose-leaf tea. Loose-leaf tea generally offers a richer taste but requires more brewing time and a tea infuser.
- Consider the Caffeine Content: If you’re sensitive to caffeine or looking for a night-time brew, opt for decaffeinated Earl Grey teas. They provide the traditional Earl Grey flavor without the potential restlessness that caffeine can induce.
- Understand the Flavor Profile: Some Earl Grey teas have a strong bergamot flavor, while others are subtler. If you’re new to Earl Grey, consider starting with a blend with a gentler bergamot note.
- Check the Ingredients: The best Earl Grey teas use high-quality black tea and real bergamot oil. Avoid brands that use artificial flavorings or low-grade tea leaves.
- Read Reviews: Online reviews can offer insights into the taste, aroma, and quality of the tea. You can learn from the experiences of other tea enthusiasts before making a purchase.
- Stick to Your Budget: While premium Earl Grey teas can be expensive, there are plenty of affordable options that don’t compromise on flavor. Set a budget that suits you and explore the best offerings within that range.
- Try Before You Buy in Bulk: Many brands offer smaller sample sizes. It’s a good idea to test out a few different types before committing to a large purchase.
- Pay Attention to Packaging: The best Earl Grey tea brands often pay as much attention to the packaging as the tea itself. Look for brands that use airtight, opaque packaging to preserve the tea’s freshness.
By considering these tips, you’ll be able to navigate the world of Earl Grey tea confidently and find the blend that perfectly suits your palate.
What Does Earl Grey Tea Taste Like?
Earl Grey tea is a full-bodied black tea with a unique citrusy taste imparted by the essential oil from the bergamot fruit.
What to Put in Earl Grey Tea?
Earl Grey tea can be enjoyed plain or with added sweeteners like honey or sugar. A slice of lemon can enhance its citrus notes.
Do You Put Milk in Earl Grey Tea?
While traditionalists might prefer it without milk, adding a splash can mellow the robustness of the black tea and the citrusy edge of the bergamot.
What Are the Benefits of Earl Grey Tea?
Earl Grey tea boasts a range of health benefits, including boosting digestion, improving heart health, and offering stress relief, thanks to the antioxidants in black tea and bergamot oil.
Is Earl Grey Healthier Than Regular Black Tea?
Earl Grey offers the same health benefits as regular black tea, with the added bonus of the bergamot oil’s potential health properties.
How Much Caffeine Is in Earl Grey Tea?
A typical cup of Earl Grey tea contains around 40-60 milligrams of caffeine, less than coffee but enough to give a mild stimulating effect.
Is Earl Grey a Morning or Night Tea?
Traditionally, Earl Grey is a morning or afternoon tea due to its caffeine content. However, decaffeinated versions are also available for evening consumption.
Can I Drink Earl Grey Every Day?
Yes, Earl Grey tea can be enjoyed daily. It’s a good source of hydration and provides numerous health benefits.
Why Is Earl Grey Tea So Expensive?
Earl Grey tea’s cost reflects the quality of the black tea used and the sourcing of bergamot oil. Premium brands that use high-grade ingredients and follow a meticulous production process are typically more expensive.
How to Make Earl Grey Tea?
For a perfect cup of Earl Grey tea, steep 1 teaspoon of loose-leaf tea or 1 tea bag in a cup of freshly boiled water for 3-5 minutes. You can adjust the brewing time to taste.
However, while this general recipe is likely to work for most Earl Grey brands, it’s best to follow the specific brewing instructions provided by the manufacturer, usually found on the packaging.